Lab Technical Assistant
Working with a team of professionals who consistently raise the bar and look for process improvement opportunities, the Laboratory at YRMC offers a diverse workforce and the ability to work in all specialties within the lab. Our Laboratory Director speaks to the positivity of the culture and the future state-of-the-art laboratory that is anticipated to begin being built in 2021. We are excited to see the future of the lab and would invite you to interview and see if where we are going may be a fit for you!
The Lab Technical Assistant works under the direct supervision of medical technologists and/or supervisory personnel; Assumes responsibility for the proper collection and processing of patient specimens; Adheres to standards of practice and universal precautions; Performs associated clerical duties to include moderate computer (PC, LIS) operations, telephone communications, and within scope technical work.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the integrity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment; Acts as a receptionist, greet patients, and answer telephones inquiries; Show commitment to patients by performing appropriate collections, testing, education and providing informational support.
- Functions as phlebotomist, specimen collector and courier; Performs phlebotomy (venipuncture, fingerstick, heelstick, and bleeding time; Identifies patients and properly labels specimens in accordance with established procedures; Determines priority of STAT draws; Ensures timely transport of all patient samples to testing department within the lab; Utilizes computers as appropriate in completing assigned functions (PPAL, Care 360); Organizes assigned work and accurately completes reports (HRP, Pending logs, Send outs etc.); Under guidance of supervisor will assist in training of new employees and departmental training in the performance of phlebotomy functions; Responsibly follows organizational exposure control plans for bloodborne and airborne pathogens; Maintains specimen integrity during specimen transport; Delivers supplies, communications and reports to clients; Performs STAT and Routine pick-ups as dispatched; Picks up and delivers blood products to airport in a timely manner; Delivers blood products to the airport in accordance with FAA standards.
- Functions as the principle specimen processor for the laboratory; Functions as send out specimen processor and coordinator for specimens sent to reference laboratory; Receives, reviews and enter orders for specimens (i.e. urines, surgical pathology specimen, body fluids, and blood) from nursing floors, outpatients, operating room, emergency department, and outreach; Immediately receives specimens from pneumatic tube system; Transports specimen to appropriate areas within the lab for testing; Conducts troubleshooting and problem solution concerning missing or unacceptable specimens; Packages, labels and sends out specimens to reference laboratories; Calls reference laboratories and physician's offices for information pertaining to specific tests and, if needed collects information for accurate billing; Assumes responsibility for handling, transport, storage and appropriately follows through on reference laboratory send out specimens.
- Provides clerical, administrative, and informational support via computers and/or telephones operations both within the laboratory and hospital as well as providers outside the hospital; Serves as primary resource for technical guidance such as but not limited to proper phlebotomy technique; Coordinates information regarding specimen status between laboratory staff and requestor; Communicates in courteous and professional manner; Acts as first level of inquiry for all issues related to entering orders, lab computer functions, downtime procedures for specimen collection, LIS error codes during off hours; Accurately registers outpatients for lab services as needed; Ensures procedures and guidelines for documenting samples that are suitable for testing; Initiates appropriate documentation and ensures completeness; Collects all samples and documentation for supervisor review; Performs computer functions as needed (reorders tests, REI annotations etc.).
- Provides advanced laboratory support as needed; Performs waived testing in accordance with regulatory compliance, such as but not limited to Point of Care Testing (acetest and urine/serum pregnancy); Automated testing under the direct supervision * Preventive maintenance on various laboratory equipment; Responsible for cleaning and maintenance in accordance with universal precautions; Inoculates plates and performs gram staining of microorganisms for technologist; Provides special assistance in hematology such as setting up ESR, preparing slides for staining, and other clerical functions; Checks and records temperatures and humidity reading throughout laboratory.
- Supports laboratory quality assurance and facilitates goals and objectives of the laboratory/organization through various initiatives; Actively participates on laboratory teams; Serves effectively on councils, teams, or committees within the organization. Practices teambuilding and crucial conversation skills; Promotes effective working relationship between lab and other departments within the organization; Serves as a advanced technical resource for physicians, nurses, clinical associates, business associates and medical technologist.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: 12-hours, Nights, Weekends
Physical Requirements and working conditions for this position will be provided to you upon interview.