Working with a team of professionals who consistently raise the bar and look for process improvement opportunities, the Laboratory at YRMC offers a diverse workforce and the ability to work in all specialties within the lab. Our Laboratory Director speaks to the positivity of the culture and the future state-of-the-art laboratory that is anticipated to begin being built in 2021. We are excited to see the future of the lab and would invite you to interview and see if where we are going may be a fit for you!
The Lab Technical Assistant works under the direct supervision of medical technologists and/or supervisory personnel for the proper collection and processing of patient specimens while adhering to standards of practice and universal precautions. This role also performs associated clerical duties, telephone communications, and other duties as assigned within scope of laboratory technical work.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the integrity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment; Acts as a receptionist, greet patients, and answer telephones inquiries; Show commitment to patients by performing appropriate collections, testing, education and providing informational support.
- Functions as phlebotomist, specimen collector and courier; Performs phlebotomy (venipuncture, fingerstick, heelstick, and bleeding time; Identifies patients and properly labels specimens in accordance with established procedures; Determines priority of STAT draws; Ensures timely transport of all patient samples to testing department within the lab; Utilizes computers as appropriate in completing assigned functions (PPAL, Care 360); Organizes assigned work and accurately completes reports (HRP, Pending logs, Send outs etc.); Under guidance of supervisor will assist in training of new employees and departmental training in the performance of phlebotomy functions; Responsibly follows organizational exposure control plans for bloodborne and airborne pathogens; Maintains specimen integrity during specimen transport; Delivers supplies, communications and reports to clients; Performs STAT and Routine pick-ups as dispatched; Picks up and delivers blood products to airport in a timely manner; Delivers blood products to the airport in accordance with FAA standards.
- Provides advanced laboratory support as needed; Performs waived testing in accordance with regulatory compliance, such as but not limited to Point of Care Testing (acetest and urine/serum pregnancy); Automated testing under the direct supervision * Preventive maintenance on various laboratory equipment; Responsible for cleaning and maintenance in accordance with universal precautions; Inoculates plates and performs gram staining of microorganisms for technologist; Provides special assistance in hematology such as setting up ESR, preparing slides for staining, and other clerical functions; Checks and records temperatures and humidity reading throughout laboratory.
- Supports laboratory quality assurance and facilitates goals and objectives of the laboratory/organization through various initiatives; Actively participates on laboratory teams; Serves effectively on councils, teams, or committees within the organization. Practices teambuilding and crucial conversation skills; Promotes effective working relationship between lab and other departments within the organization; Serves as a advanced technical resource for physicians, nurses, clinical associates, business associates and medical technologist.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 0 (Zero) Years of Related Experience
- High School Diploma
- Certified Phlebotomist
- 1 (One)+ Years of Related Experience
Work Schedule: 8-hours, Days, Weekends
Physical Requirements and working conditions for this position will be provided to you upon interview.