Medical Lab Scientist Lead
Working with a team of professionals who consistently raise the bar and look for process improvement opportunities, the Laboratory at YRMC offers a diverse workforce and the ability to work in all specialties within the lab. Our Laboratory Director speaks to the positivity of the culture and the future state-of-the-art laboratory that is anticipated to begin being built in 2021. We are excited to see the future of the lab and would invite you to interview and see if where we are going may be a fit for you!
The Medical Lab Assistant Lead is responsible for department specific technical, clerical and support functions; Adheres to standards of practice and universal precautions; Performs associated laboratory department clerical duties to include moderate computer operations and telephone communications within scope of technical duties; Performs expanded technical and clerical functions and applies critical thinking and decision making skills to their daily functions.
- Provides clerical, technical and inventory management support to the department's Clinical Supervisor, Technologists and Technicians; Actively participates and adheres to accreditation and regulatory requirements; Adheres to the department's policies.
- Per department requirements, performs pre-analytical and post-analytical duties; Prepares, tracks, loads and reports samples/specimens in compliance with department policy; Works closely with the Technologists and department's staff to resolve problems with specimen handling and tracking; Assists with correlation/validation specimen procurement and data entry/transcription.
- Adheres to the department's test procedures and alerts the appropriate person when a problem occurs. Performs department specific duties which may include testing and reporting the results of a limited number of tests under the direct supervision of the department supervisor, technologists or technicians. Performs Department specific duties.
- Performs daily quality control procedures as determined by the department requirements; Checks and records lot numbers and expiration dates of reagents and controls; Calibrates selected instruments; Reconstitutes QC material and calibrators, if required; Works closely with the Technologists and the department's staff to insure quality laboratory results.
- Performs daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly preventive maintenance on selected instruments in the department; Conducts troubleshooting of instruments and alerts the appropriate person when problems arise; Documents temperatures, instrument maintenance as required, per department policy; Assists the department's Clinical Supervisor with preparation of quality assurance reports, monthly reports and other clerical duties.
- Performs and tracks the inventory counts and places supply orders for the department/section if required; Provides support to and coverage for the Materials Manager as required; Checks the ordered reagents/supplies when they arrive to make sure the order is complete and places the arrival date on all items; Stocks and rotates the department reagents/supplies to ensure that reagents and materials are used based on the expiration dating of the reagents/supplies; Exercises fiscal responsibility by ensuring proper inventory control as defined by the department's Clinical Supervisor.
- Assists the section supervisor with daily operations, inventory tracking, identifying bottlenecks in the workflow and assisting the team to resolve backlog of work; Monthly review of send out logs to ensure listing is complete and identify and perform any follow up needed; Fosters open working environment for easy access to express ideas and concerns; Demonstrates respectful communication; Promotes an environment that is open and collaborative while keeping the team focused on common goal; Builds rapport, encourages teamwork, creates an environment where employees feel empowered and engaged.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications -
- 2+ years related experience
- Supervisory Experience
- Bachelors Degree
- ASCP - MLT or MT
Work Schedule: 8-hours, Evenings, Varied
Physical Requirements and working conditions for this position will be provided to you upon interview.