The Medical Lab Assistant is responsible for laboratory clerical, technical, and inventory management support while adhering to standards of practice and universal precautions. Performs expanded laboratory clerical and technical pre-analytical and post-analytical duties in support of laboratory area.
- Performs pre-analytical and post-analytical duties in support of laboratory area; Prepares, tracks, loads and reports samples/specimens in compliance with department policy; Works closely with the Technologists and departmental leadership to resolve problems with specimen handling and tracking; Assists with correlation/validation specimen procurement and data entry/transcription.
- Performs department specific duties which may include testing and reporting the results of a limited number of tests under the direct supervision of the department supervisor, technologists or technicians.
- Adheres to the department's test procedures and alerts the appropriate person when a problem occurs. Performs daily quality control procedures as determined by the department requirements; Checks and records lot numbers and expiration dates of reagents and controls; Calibrates selected instruments; Reconstitutes QC material and calibrators.
- Performs daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly preventive maintenance on selected instruments in the department; Conducts troubleshooting of instruments and alerts the appropriate person when problems arise; Documents temperatures, instrument maintenance as required, per department policy; Assists the department's Clinical Supervisor with preparation of quality assurance reports, monthly reports and other clerical duties.
- Performs and tracks the inventory counts and places supply orders for the department/section as requested. Checks the ordered reagents/supplies when they arrive to make sure the order is complete and places the arrival date on all items; Stocks and rotates the department reagents/supplies to ensure that reagents and materials are used based on the expiration dating of the reagents/supplies; Exercises fiscal responsibility by ensuring proper inventory control as defined by the department's leader.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 0 Years of Related Experience
- High School Diploma or GED with ASCP / AMT Certification as a MLA OR Associate's / Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry or Lab sciences
Work Schedule: 8-hours, Varied, Varied
Physical Requirements and working conditions for this position will be provided to you upon interview.